Is planning required?

Do I need Planning Permission for a garden room?
Garden rooms do not usually require a planning application as they fall within permitted development rules. However there are circumstances that propose planning is required.
It can get a little complex but to start with let me first explain that the home owner is responsible for establishing if planning is required or not. Don’t let any supplier / provider tell you that you don’t need planning permission, they can only advise.
So, the basics are

  • The garden room is no higher than 2.5m from the bottom of the building to the top of the roof (if within 2m of boundary)
  • That you do not take up more than 50% of your garden area with this or any other building
  • It is not to be used for living or sleeping accommodation nor as a place of undertaking business with visiting Clients such as a beauty therapy room.

These are the very basics. Garden rooms sited outside of a 2M boundary will have different rules and allow you to builder higher than 2.5m. So design and positioning is so important. That is why a site survey is a must. Buying off the web without understanding the position, height and ground conditions is unadvisable.
You need to be clear what the Garden room is to be used for and, if for example, you have installed a WC you may well fall foul of planning approval, and Building Regulations, as you have installed new drainage.

What Do We Propose
We provide you with an assessment of the planned garden room and advise you the best course of action to ensue you are not falling foul of the complex planning rules. Please also note that should a neighbour complain/ make comment then the Local Authority planning department will intervene and work may have to cease.
Again, don’t let anyone tell you planning is not required. Only a planning officer from your local authority can do this with 100% certainty. Whilst you may find this frustrating the investment you are making needs to be secured against any possible complaints from Neighbours or from the intervention from your local authority enforcement officer.